To: Marilen Tavera,
When I wrote that piece ”yourself”, I was not expecting comments from other source except maybe from Joy and her siblings, because I made it not just a tribute to myself as a loving father, but it also serve as simple commendations to my children . Indirectly it might as well act as a simple advice to young people who might be able to read it, like my grandson Vans, who seems not seriously concerned about the future.
You’re about twice my age and may not have heard about a song entitled “YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS YOUNG” originally sung by Roy Clarks and adapted by most famous artist Like Glenn Campbell and Andy Williams as well as our very own Nora Aunor in the late 60’s.
That’s one of the oldies song favorites in my list and its lyric is hereto attached to give you additional simple understanding about life. The writer/ composer obviously scrabbled his own life into something different. He wasted much of it for his self “pride, fame and materialism” that’s why he ended up alone with bitter taste of tears, because he didn’t make good use of his short life … when he was young. TALAGANG NASA HULI ANG PAGSISISI.
Joy is right when she said you’re an intelligent person. What you
wrote speaks for itself. I am not a writer like you. I can only speak and write about my own just “once in a blue moon”. I am not capable of composing or writing any poem or other topics. This is just I am.
Go on with what you are doing. Your files of poems and notes
were wonderful. You’ve got talent and your works need to be published for others to see. You have a bright future as a poet/writer.
Congratulations and thank you for your adaptation to my “YOURSELF”.
YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS YOUNG
Andy Williams
Yesterday when I was young
The taste of life was sweet like rain upon my tongue.
I teased at life as if it were a foolish game
The way an evening breeze may tease a candle flame.
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned
I always built to last on weak and shifting sand
I lived by night and shunned the naked light of day
And only now I see how the years have ran away
Yesterday when I was young
So many happy songs that waited to be sung
So many wild pleasures lay in store for me
And so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see
I ran so fast that time and youth at last ran out
I never stopped to think what life was all about
And every conversation that I can now recall
Concerned it self with me and nothing else
Yesterday the moon was blue
And every crazy day brought something new to do
And I used my magic age as if it were a wand
I never saw the waste and emptiness beyond.
The game of love I played with arrogance and pride
And every flame I lit so quickly, quickly died
The friends I made all seemed, somehow to drift away
And only I am left on stage to end he play.
There are so many songs in me that won’t be sung
I felt the bitter taste of tears upon my tongue
The time has come for me to pay for yesterday,
When I was young.
From: Mr.Pacifico Manuel (thru facebook)
-0o0-
Sir, honestly I don't know what to say.Thank you is not enough.Yesterday, I was thinking of what I would be posting today to end the month. I just checked out my facebook and Ate Joy wanted me to look at your note for me.I smiled and got teary-eyed. This is worth posting and telling the world how grateful I am to people like you. Sir,I haven't heard that song but I'll try to search for it here in the web and listen to it.
I am thankful that when my life was full of sorrows and pain, I met wonderful people.Now I'm still meeting people, experienced people like you and some others who directly and indirectly teach me to just go on with my life because those (sorrows and pain) are just part of it, do what I want, and be what I can be.
I would never forget my father's last words to me "KULAY, MAGPAKATATAG KA." Just like you, he had seen what life was all about.Sir, AYOKO PONG MAGSISI SA HULI. Now, I am living my life with happiness that comes from within, for I know, I am not scrabbling out of that short 'life'.
Sir, Ate Joy knows what I've been through, and her family is a family to me that's why when I read your note, I felt like I am one of your children and you also wrote that for me. :) Thank you po. You have a wonderful family, for you are indeed, a wonderful father.:)
-Marilen Tavera